Solar farm developers to meet Meldreth key players to discuss bringing benefits to the community
- Credit: Archant
The developers behind a solar farm off the A10 are meeting with key players in Meldreth to discuss a community contribution that could bring “tangible benefits” to the village.
Work has started on the 45-acre site behind Bury Lane Farm, between Melbourn and Meldreth, and developer SunEdison is holding a private meeting with village representatives, Meldreth parish councillors and South Cambridgeshire District Councillors on Tuesday.
Councillor Philippa Hart, who represents the Meldreth and Shepreth ward, set up the meeting.
She said: “This is a very exciting opportunity. We look forward to working in partnership with SunEdison to bring tangible benefits to the wider Meldreth community.
“The large solar farm behind Bury Lane Farm was one of the earliest to obtain planning approval, thanks in large part to the pragmatic approach taken by Meldreth residents and parish council in broadly welcoming renewable energy both to future proof and to diversify our energy sources.
You may also want to watch:
“The scheme will not come without considerable impact to Meldreth, both during the construction phase when large items of plant will need to be brought into Meldreth village over the narrow railway bridge, and thereafter for the 25-year anticipated lifetime of the solar farm.”
There had been some opposition to the plan, with villagers worried about the visual impact and effect on the nearby wildlife, but South Cambridgeshire District Council’s planning committee gave the scheme the go-ahead in May.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 7 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks