Society goes to great lengths to restore ancient milestone
AN ancient milestone outside St Peter s Church in Buntingford is being restored by the Buntingford Civic Society. The society is producing a copper facier for the stone. Society chairman Derek Cooper said: It s an important place of our heritage and they
AN ancient milestone outside St Peter's Church in Buntingford is being restored by the Buntingford Civic Society.
The society is producing a copper facier for the stone.
Society chairman Derek Cooper said: "It's an important place of our heritage and they are attractive items in our basic scene.
"We're concerned with restoring artefacts because they will disappear eventually."
The society has had to go through a long process in restoring the artefact.
Mr Cooper said: "We had to go through archival material to be exact on the wording and we had to make sure it did not make an impact on the fabric of the church.
- 1 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 2 Fowlmere residents voice objections to housing development
- 3 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 7 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
"I hope it will be an attractive addition to the area of Market Hill."
The facier has been made and is in the possession of the society. It is expected to be erected some time in the near future.
- Restoring a town sign outside Lloyds Chemist in Market Hill, Buntingford, could be the society's next project.