Society goes to great lengths to restore ancient milestone
AN ancient milestone outside St Peter s Church in Buntingford is being restored by the Buntingford Civic Society. The society is producing a copper facier for the stone. Society chairman Derek Cooper said: It s an important place of our heritage and they
AN ancient milestone outside St Peter's Church in Buntingford is being restored by the Buntingford Civic Society.
The society is producing a copper facier for the stone.
Society chairman Derek Cooper said: "It's an important place of our heritage and they are attractive items in our basic scene.
"We're concerned with restoring artefacts because they will disappear eventually."
The society has had to go through a long process in restoring the artefact.
Mr Cooper said: "We had to go through archival material to be exact on the wording and we had to make sure it did not make an impact on the fabric of the church.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
"I hope it will be an attractive addition to the area of Market Hill."
The facier has been made and is in the possession of the society. It is expected to be erected some time in the near future.
- Restoring a town sign outside Lloyds Chemist in Market Hill, Buntingford, could be the society's next project.