Society goes to great lengths to restore ancient milestone
AN ancient milestone outside St Peter s Church in Buntingford is being restored by the Buntingford Civic Society. The society is producing a copper facier for the stone. Society chairman Derek Cooper said: It s an important place of our heritage and they
AN ancient milestone outside St Peter's Church in Buntingford is being restored by the Buntingford Civic Society.
The society is producing a copper facier for the stone.
Society chairman Derek Cooper said: "It's an important place of our heritage and they are attractive items in our basic scene.
"We're concerned with restoring artefacts because they will disappear eventually."
You may also want to watch:
The society has had to go through a long process in restoring the artefact.
Mr Cooper said: "We had to go through archival material to be exact on the wording and we had to make sure it did not make an impact on the fabric of the church.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
"I hope it will be an attractive addition to the area of Market Hill."
The facier has been made and is in the possession of the society. It is expected to be erected some time in the near future.
- Restoring a town sign outside Lloyds Chemist in Market Hill, Buntingford, could be the society's next project.