So happy together after all these years
A COUPLE born and bread in Braughing are celebrating 60 years of marriage. Les and Evelyn Piggott of Green Lane first met at the village school and remained friends throughout their childhood and the war. Evelyn, 84, said: We were both in the forces so d
A COUPLE born and bread in Braughing are celebrating 60 years of marriage.
Les and Evelyn Piggott of Green Lane first met at the village school and remained friends throughout their childhood and the war.
Evelyn, 84, said: "We were both in the forces so during the war we regularly sent each other letters and exchanged our experiences. It was lovely to get letters."
When they returned from the war Evelyn said they were the only two left who had not got married.
You may also want to watch:
"We got married at Braughing Church and have since enjoyed a happy marriage," she said.
"I don't know if it was luck or fate."
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 5 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 9 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 10 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
When they returned from the war they settled down in Braughing. Les worked at GlaxoSmithKline in Ware and Evelyn worked at a local petrol garage.
A year later they had their first child - Allan of Bassingbourn, followed by Maragaret of Great Chishill,and Sylvia of Therfield.
When their children grew up they enjoyed holidays in Austria and Italy.
They have six grandchildren ranging from 15-26-years old.
Evelyn said: "Our grandchildren are the best thing that's happened to us."
Daughter Sylvia said: "It's absolutely fantastic. They have been great parents and we all had a great family life."
Evelyn and Les will celebrate their anniversary at a family party in Hormead on December 28.