So happy together after all these years
A COUPLE born and bread in Braughing are celebrating 60 years of marriage. Les and Evelyn Piggott of Green Lane first met at the village school and remained friends throughout their childhood and the war. Evelyn, 84, said: We were both in the forces so d
A COUPLE born and bread in Braughing are celebrating 60 years of marriage.
Les and Evelyn Piggott of Green Lane first met at the village school and remained friends throughout their childhood and the war.
Evelyn, 84, said: "We were both in the forces so during the war we regularly sent each other letters and exchanged our experiences. It was lovely to get letters."
When they returned from the war Evelyn said they were the only two left who had not got married.
You may also want to watch:
"We got married at Braughing Church and have since enjoyed a happy marriage," she said.
"I don't know if it was luck or fate."
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
When they returned from the war they settled down in Braughing. Les worked at GlaxoSmithKline in Ware and Evelyn worked at a local petrol garage.
A year later they had their first child - Allan of Bassingbourn, followed by Maragaret of Great Chishill,and Sylvia of Therfield.
When their children grew up they enjoyed holidays in Austria and Italy.
They have six grandchildren ranging from 15-26-years old.
Evelyn said: "Our grandchildren are the best thing that's happened to us."
Daughter Sylvia said: "It's absolutely fantastic. They have been great parents and we all had a great family life."
Evelyn and Les will celebrate their anniversary at a family party in Hormead on December 28.