Snow closes schools
SCHOOLS across Royston and south Cambridgeshire were closed today due to snow. A Herts County Council spokesman said: Each school will make a decision on their circumstances and whilst some schools might open, please check before setting out. Schools wh
SCHOOLS across Royston and south Cambridgeshire were closed today due to snow.
A Herts County Council spokesman said: "Each school will make a decision on their circumstances and whilst some schools might open, please check before setting out."
Schools which are closed include, The Meridian School, Greneway School, Studlands Rise in Royston, Bassingbourn Village College and Melbourn Village College.
Ron Berry, head teacher of Melbourn Village College, said: "I didn't intend to close the school but I couldn't risk bringing in staff who travel up the A10 because the snow was building up on the road which hadn't been salted."
You may also want to watch:
Some 59 gritter vehicles carried out three runs overnight in Herts, and a snow plough has also been used on some roads.
County councillor Stuart Pile, executive member for highways, said: "We are doing all we can to ensure the roads are as safe as possible.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 4 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 5 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
Herts Highways said all A-roads and B-roads were salted as was at least one road in and out of villages.
About 300 tonnes of salt is used on each outing.