Smoking ban nearly here
WITH just days left before the smoking ban becomes law, councillors have approved changes to the licence of The Chequers pub in Royston. Smokers at the pub in the High Street will now be able to take their drinks with them into the designated smoking are
WITH just days left before the smoking ban becomes law, councillors have approved changes to the licence of The Chequers pub in Royston.
Smokers at the pub in the High Street will now be able to take their drinks with them into the designated smoking area outside the pub at any time.
Previously alcohol was not allowed in this area after 11pm.
Michelle Parker, manager of The Chequers, said: "We're quite happy with the ruling, there was nothing unexpected in the result for us."
You may also want to watch:
The changes have been approved by North Herts District Council's licensing committee.
There had initially been objections from neighbours of the pub that the changes may cause disturbance, but following a meeting between The Chequers owner Jim Beech and environmental health officer Tracy Farrell, a compromise agreement was reached.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
This includes clauses stating that the front door of the pub must not be used to access the smoking area, and that there must be no more than 15 patrons in the smoking area at any one time.
Mrs Parker added: "Having only one door accessing the smoking area will make things easier for us. We don't have doormen as such so it'll be down to the bar staff, and we're having a meeting with them to discuss the new rules.