Sixty years for Legion ladies
SIXTY years ago last Wednesday a special event took place – the Steeple Morden branch of the Royal British Legion Women s Section was set up. And members celebrated it last week with a special presentation of Poppy Brooches to the branches four longest st
SIXTY years ago last Wednesday a special event took place - the Steeple Morden branch of the Royal British Legion Women's Section was set up.
And members celebrated it last week with a special presentation of Poppy Brooches to the branches four longest standing members.
Chairman Trisha Covington said: "It's wonderful that we've had 60 years continuous service.
"I was looking through the archives and found that the very first meeting was on May 10 in the recreation rooms, so it was great we could celebrate it exactly 60 years on."
You may also want to watch:
The first general meeting in 1946 saw Miss Avis Stowe, who is now Mrs Avis Brockett, become a committee member - and she is now President of the branch.
Mrs Covington said: "Mrs Brockett has been a very active member throughout the 60 years."
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
The next longest serving members who were presented with the special brooch were Mrs Freda Moss, who joined in 1946, Mrs Gladys Ilett who joined in 1947 and Mrs Myrtle Hart who joined in 1948.
Mrs Covington believes its the enthusiasm of the women in the branch which has led to its success.
"We don't have many members but I think it's the fact that we're here at every meeting and we are a friendly group.
"It's a great achievement and one always hopes it will go on for another 60 years."
- The Steeple Morden branch meets on the first Monday of every month in Steeple Morden Village Hall.