Sir Christopher Kelly report to affect Royston MP Oliver Heald's staff
ROYSTON MP Oliver Heald will have to make changes to his office staff after a report recommended banning MPs from employing family members. The report by Sir Christopher Kelly, which was announced in the House of Commons today (Wednesday), has been produc
ROYSTON MP Oliver Heald will have to make changes to his office staff after a report recommended banning MPs from employing family members.
The report by Sir Christopher Kelly, which was announced in the House of Commons today (Wednesday), has been produced in response to abuses of the MP's expenses system.
North East Herts MP Mr Heald employs his wife Christine as his office manager.
He said: "I understand why he (Sir Christopher Kelly) had decided to do this following the Derek Conway case which involved a son at university miles from London that brought the system into disrepute.
You may also want to watch:
"But I accept the recommendations. My wife Christine has run my officer for 17 years and has done a remarkable job and is well qualified. We have had literally hundreds of letters thanking her for taking up cases and I pay tribute to all her hard work over the years."
Sir Christopher's report recommends phasing out the employment of family members over a five year period in the next Parliament, giving staff time to find new jobs.
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 3 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 4 Parents struggling with homeschooling to get boost from book donors
- 5 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 6 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 7 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 8 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Wildlife photographer's lockdown calendar raises money for those in need
South Cambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley is not affected, as he has no members of his family on his staff.