Sir Christopher Kelly report to affect Royston MP Oliver Heald's staff
ROYSTON MP Oliver Heald will have to make changes to his office staff after a report recommended banning MPs from employing family members. The report by Sir Christopher Kelly, which was announced in the House of Commons today (Wednesday), has been produc
ROYSTON MP Oliver Heald will have to make changes to his office staff after a report recommended banning MPs from employing family members.
The report by Sir Christopher Kelly, which was announced in the House of Commons today (Wednesday), has been produced in response to abuses of the MP's expenses system.
North East Herts MP Mr Heald employs his wife Christine as his office manager.
He said: "I understand why he (Sir Christopher Kelly) had decided to do this following the Derek Conway case which involved a son at university miles from London that brought the system into disrepute.
You may also want to watch:
"But I accept the recommendations. My wife Christine has run my officer for 17 years and has done a remarkable job and is well qualified. We have had literally hundreds of letters thanking her for taking up cases and I pay tribute to all her hard work over the years."
Sir Christopher's report recommends phasing out the employment of family members over a five year period in the next Parliament, giving staff time to find new jobs.
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 3 Missing teen found safe and well
- 4 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 5 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 6 Party leaders respond to election result in North Herts
- 7 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 8 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 9 County council elections round-up for North Herts
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
South Cambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley is not affected, as he has no members of his family on his staff.