Sir Christopher Kelly report to affect Royston MP Oliver Heald's staff
ROYSTON MP Oliver Heald will have to make changes to his office staff after a report recommended banning MPs from employing family members. The report by Sir Christopher Kelly, which was announced in the House of Commons today (Wednesday), has been produc
ROYSTON MP Oliver Heald will have to make changes to his office staff after a report recommended banning MPs from employing family members.
The report by Sir Christopher Kelly, which was announced in the House of Commons today (Wednesday), has been produced in response to abuses of the MP's expenses system.
North East Herts MP Mr Heald employs his wife Christine as his office manager.
He said: "I understand why he (Sir Christopher Kelly) had decided to do this following the Derek Conway case which involved a son at university miles from London that brought the system into disrepute.
"But I accept the recommendations. My wife Christine has run my officer for 17 years and has done a remarkable job and is well qualified. We have had literally hundreds of letters thanking her for taking up cases and I pay tribute to all her hard work over the years."
Sir Christopher's report recommends phasing out the employment of family members over a five year period in the next Parliament, giving staff time to find new jobs.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 3 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
South Cambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley is not affected, as he has no members of his family on his staff.