Signs LOOK good for Sam
A RISING star is competing for the chance to record an album with top music producers in the UK s second biggest talent contest after ITV s X-Factor. Sam Smith, 14, of Heydon Road, Great Chishill, beat off competition from more than 10,000 singers and ban
A RISING star is competing for the chance to record an album with top music producers in the UK's second biggest talent contest after ITV's X-Factor.
Sam Smith, 14, of Heydon Road, Great Chishill, beat off competition from more than 10,000 singers and bands across the country to reach the live stages of Live and Unsigned, South Coast Idol.
He will be among 20 hopefuls on Monday in Croydon competing for a place in the regional final and the chance to work with Craig David's producer Mark Hill.
Sam said: "I will either be singing something by Luther Vandross or Nina Simone, because I like the genre of music."
You may also want to watch:
Chris Grayston from Live and Unsigned said: "This cannot be compared to X-Factor as we encourage contestants to do their own thing, whether that be their own genre, style, play their own instruments or perform their own song."
Sam entered the competition after his mother saw an advertisement.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 3 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
"I went there thinking, just give it a go," he said.
The competition will be judged by Mark Hill, Lee from Steps, choreographer Tim Noble, who has worked with Kylie Minogue, and Katie Holmes, who has been a backing vocalist for Lily Allen and Knarls Barclay.
Sam says his ultimate ambition is to star in musicals on Broadway.
He said: "I would love to go to New York.
"When I leave school I would like to study performing arts at an arts school or university over there.
"I want to be known for starring in musicals and be a singer and songwriter."
Sam's dad Frederick said: "It's fantastic Sam has got this far. We're very proud."
For more information on the competition visit the website: www.southcoastidol.co.uk