Signs LOOK good for Sam
A RISING star is competing for the chance to record an album with top music producers in the UK s second biggest talent contest after ITV s X-Factor. Sam Smith, 14, of Heydon Road, Great Chishill, beat off competition from more than 10,000 singers and ban
A RISING star is competing for the chance to record an album with top music producers in the UK's second biggest talent contest after ITV's X-Factor.
Sam Smith, 14, of Heydon Road, Great Chishill, beat off competition from more than 10,000 singers and bands across the country to reach the live stages of Live and Unsigned, South Coast Idol.
He will be among 20 hopefuls on Monday in Croydon competing for a place in the regional final and the chance to work with Craig David's producer Mark Hill.
Sam said: "I will either be singing something by Luther Vandross or Nina Simone, because I like the genre of music."
You may also want to watch:
Chris Grayston from Live and Unsigned said: "This cannot be compared to X-Factor as we encourage contestants to do their own thing, whether that be their own genre, style, play their own instruments or perform their own song."
Sam entered the competition after his mother saw an advertisement.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
"I went there thinking, just give it a go," he said.
The competition will be judged by Mark Hill, Lee from Steps, choreographer Tim Noble, who has worked with Kylie Minogue, and Katie Holmes, who has been a backing vocalist for Lily Allen and Knarls Barclay.
Sam says his ultimate ambition is to star in musicals on Broadway.
He said: "I would love to go to New York.
"When I leave school I would like to study performing arts at an arts school or university over there.
"I want to be known for starring in musicals and be a singer and songwriter."
Sam's dad Frederick said: "It's fantastic Sam has got this far. We're very proud."
For more information on the competition visit the website: www.southcoastidol.co.uk