Showjumper Adele is a shining star
- Credit: Archant
A TALENTED show jumper from Crow country has set her sights on the Olympic games after winning a prestigious award.
Adele Rand, 13, has picked up British Showjumping’s NAF Shining Star prize, which is given to the country’s top young showjumpers.
The Chrishall teenager, who is a member of the Essex Junior Academy, was handed the prize for the dedication she has shown to her showjumping, and for the helpful attitude she has shown to others.
Geraldine Rand, Adele’s mother, said: “It’s something she’s always wanted to do since she was a little girl. It’s funny really because we’re not a horsey family at all, but it’s always been her passion.
“It’s a big commitment because we don’t have grooms or stable staff– she has to do all the cleaning and caring for the horse herself.
You may also want to watch:
“She’s doing so well and it’s great to see her progress and get this award. I know she’d like to take her showjumping all the way and go to the Olympics, but we’ll have to see what happens in the next few years.”
In the short-term, Adele has set her sights on moving up a class before the end of the year.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 5 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 6 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 7 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 8 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 9 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
- 10 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
She said: “My plan for the rest of 2013 is to do my best and try to qualify for the British Novice, Discovery second rounds.”
Annette Lewis, Lead Coach at the Essex Junior Academy, nominated Adele for the award.
She said “Adele is a dedicated and hardworking active member of the British Showjumping Essex Junior Academy.
“Adele’s optimistic and inspiring positive attitude clearly identifies why she has been awarded the August Shining Star Award. Congratulations and well deserved Adele.”