Share your experience to help other families in Royston and district who are struggling to cope
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
Can you give a family the most precious gift – your time?
All parents need emotional and practical help to get through the first few years, but not everyone has friends or family nearby – and this is when Home-Start volunteers can help.
Home-Start Royston & South Cambridgeshire provides a home visiting service, a family support group and helps families link with other local services and resources.
They help families with children under the age of five cope with post-natal depression, illness, isolation, bereavement, disability, domestic abuse and much more, offering regular support and practical help to alleviate stress with a view to preventing family crisis and breakdown.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers visit one or more families a week for two hours and take their own individual skills and experience to the families they visit.
Volunteers of all ages and backgrounds are welcomed. The only stipulation is that you must have had parenting experience yourself. No specific qualifications are needed, but the ability to listen with understanding, to maintain confidentiality and be committed both to the scheme and to the families is a must.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 6 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 7 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
A vital element of a Home-Start scheme is the planned support offered to all volunteers.
This is on a one-to-one basis between the volunteer and the co-ordinator and through group supervision.
A 10 session training course for new volunteers is being held in June & July, with sessions from 9.30am to 2.30pm at dates to be confirmed.
So why not sign up and have the satisfaction of helping others?
You can find the centre Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email email@example.com or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk.