Seven arrested in dawn raids as police crackdown on phone scams in Crow country
- Credit: Archant
Seven people have been arrested this morning, Wednesday, on suspicion of using phone scams to defraud elderly and vulnerable people.
Five men aged 18, 21, 22, 22 and 23 and two women aged 20 and 21 were arrested in the dawn raids on seven addresses in London by officers from the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit (ERSOU).
The offences, in which the defendants are alleged to have called people claiming to be police officers or government officials and tried to extort money, were committed in several counties including North Herts and South Cambs over the past few months.
Detective inspector Danny Lawrence, who leads the ERSOU phone scam taskforce, said: “These warrants further show how we are continuing to make the region a hostile place for anyone suspected of being involved in phone scams, which often target elderly and vulnerable people.
“Whilst we are continuing to make arrests, I would remind people to remain aware that phone scams are still operating across the region. As it does tend to be the elderly and vulnerable who are targeted by the offenders, please share the following advice with neighbours and relatives.
You may also want to watch:
“If you are suspicious about a telephone conversation you should end the call and contact police via the non-emergency number, 101. Remember to use a mobile phone or a friend’s phone or wait at least five minutes before calling to ensure you aren’t reconnected to the offender.”
All the defendants remain in police custody.
- 1 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 2 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 3 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Wildlife photographer's lockdown calendar raises money for those in need
- 6 Families of care home residents worry about vaccine roll-out delays
- 7 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 8 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 9 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn