Seven arrested in dawn raids as police crackdown on phone scams in Crow country
- Credit: Archant
Seven people have been arrested this morning, Wednesday, on suspicion of using phone scams to defraud elderly and vulnerable people.
Five men aged 18, 21, 22, 22 and 23 and two women aged 20 and 21 were arrested in the dawn raids on seven addresses in London by officers from the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit (ERSOU).
The offences, in which the defendants are alleged to have called people claiming to be police officers or government officials and tried to extort money, were committed in several counties including North Herts and South Cambs over the past few months.
Detective inspector Danny Lawrence, who leads the ERSOU phone scam taskforce, said: “These warrants further show how we are continuing to make the region a hostile place for anyone suspected of being involved in phone scams, which often target elderly and vulnerable people.
“Whilst we are continuing to make arrests, I would remind people to remain aware that phone scams are still operating across the region. As it does tend to be the elderly and vulnerable who are targeted by the offenders, please share the following advice with neighbours and relatives.
You may also want to watch:
“If you are suspicious about a telephone conversation you should end the call and contact police via the non-emergency number, 101. Remember to use a mobile phone or a friend’s phone or wait at least five minutes before calling to ensure you aren’t reconnected to the offender.”
All the defendants remain in police custody.
- 1 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 2 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 3 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 4 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
- 9 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 10 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire