Seven arrested in dawn raids as police crackdown on phone scams in Crow country
- Credit: Archant
Seven people have been arrested this morning, Wednesday, on suspicion of using phone scams to defraud elderly and vulnerable people.
Five men aged 18, 21, 22, 22 and 23 and two women aged 20 and 21 were arrested in the dawn raids on seven addresses in London by officers from the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit (ERSOU).
The offences, in which the defendants are alleged to have called people claiming to be police officers or government officials and tried to extort money, were committed in several counties including North Herts and South Cambs over the past few months.
Detective inspector Danny Lawrence, who leads the ERSOU phone scam taskforce, said: “These warrants further show how we are continuing to make the region a hostile place for anyone suspected of being involved in phone scams, which often target elderly and vulnerable people.
“Whilst we are continuing to make arrests, I would remind people to remain aware that phone scams are still operating across the region. As it does tend to be the elderly and vulnerable who are targeted by the offenders, please share the following advice with neighbours and relatives.
You may also want to watch:
“If you are suspicious about a telephone conversation you should end the call and contact police via the non-emergency number, 101. Remember to use a mobile phone or a friend’s phone or wait at least five minutes before calling to ensure you aren’t reconnected to the offender.”
All the defendants remain in police custody.
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 3 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 4 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 7 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 8 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident