Servants of the community honoured with awards
FOUR servants of the Royston community have been honoured with awards. The quartet were presented with Community Service Awards by the town mayor, Cllr Rod Kennedy, at the annual town meeting held last week. Veteran campaigner Terry Hutt was rewarded for
FOUR servants of the Royston community have been honoured with awards.
The quartet were presented with Community Service Awards by the town mayor, Cllr Rod Kennedy, at the annual town meeting held last week.
Veteran campaigner Terry Hutt was rewarded for his hard work on numerous schemes to help the town's pensioners.
Former councillor Doug Drake, who retired last year after years of service as a town and county councillor, was also honoured, along with Mike Thrower, who was the driving force behind the new Royston all-weather pitch which opened last year.
President of Royston Town football club, Alan Barlow, also picked up an award, not only for his work with the club, but for the financial support he has given to Royston in Bloom and other projects in the town.
The beneficiaries of this year's community chest grants were also revealed. These included the Royston volunteer centre, the Royston Arts Society, and the Electralites majorettes troop.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 9 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 10 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
Community Chest grants were awarded to:
Royston volunteer centre
The Timetrackers club
The Open House youth project
Frank Letts blind fellowship
Stephanie Prior school of dance
Royston community centre
Royston arts society
Royston arts festival
The Rotary Club of Royston's Youth Makes Music concert
Electralites majorette troop