School secretary says goodbye
A VILLAGE school said goodbye to its long-serving secretary at the end of term. Karen Newham retired at the end of term after 27 years service at Barley School, and received a surprise celebration in her honour. Sue Jagelman, governor at Barley School, sa
A VILLAGE school said goodbye to its long-serving secretary at the end of term.
Karen Newham retired at the end of term after 27 years service at Barley School, and received a surprise celebration in her honour.
Sue Jagelman, governor at Barley School, said: "The school had arranged a surprise celebration tea party that even the youngest children had managed to keep a secret. "The afternoon of celebration was attended by staff, pupils and parents, governors and members of Mrs Newham's family including her children, former pupils of the school, and her husband and grandchildren."
Mrs Newham was presented with special cards, flowers, an album of pictures of her life at school, and a camera.
You may also want to watch:
Two cakes, including one in the shape of the secretary's desk complete with computer, telephone and overflowing in-tray, were provided by the school's kitchen.
Head teacher Julie Price paid tribute Mrs Newham's "outstanding contribution" to the life of the school over so many years, working alongside several different heads.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event