School secretary says goodbye
A VILLAGE school said goodbye to its long-serving secretary at the end of term. Karen Newham retired at the end of term after 27 years service at Barley School, and received a surprise celebration in her honour. Sue Jagelman, governor at Barley School, sa
A VILLAGE school said goodbye to its long-serving secretary at the end of term.
Karen Newham retired at the end of term after 27 years service at Barley School, and received a surprise celebration in her honour.
Sue Jagelman, governor at Barley School, said: "The school had arranged a surprise celebration tea party that even the youngest children had managed to keep a secret. "The afternoon of celebration was attended by staff, pupils and parents, governors and members of Mrs Newham's family including her children, former pupils of the school, and her husband and grandchildren."
Mrs Newham was presented with special cards, flowers, an album of pictures of her life at school, and a camera.
You may also want to watch:
Two cakes, including one in the shape of the secretary's desk complete with computer, telephone and overflowing in-tray, were provided by the school's kitchen.
Head teacher Julie Price paid tribute Mrs Newham's "outstanding contribution" to the life of the school over so many years, working alongside several different heads.
- 1 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 2 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 7 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 8 Tribute to beloved mum, friend and artist Debbie Horabin
- 9 Political row over South Cambs new town proposal
- 10 Thief pleads guilty to assaulting two people