School play wins top drama award
A PLAY written by a former Meridian School teacher has won the National Drama Festivals Association s prestigious George Taylor Memorial Award. The annual award, which was first made in 1979, is one of the highest accolades in the country for new drama. A
A PLAY written by a former Meridian School teacher has won the National Drama Festivals Association's prestigious George Taylor Memorial Award.
The annual award, which was first made in 1979, is one of the highest accolades in the country for new drama.
And this year it has been won by Emma Roskilly's Oswiecim.
Set in the Polish town of the same name, Oswiecim is more commonly known as Auschwitz, the scene of the Second World War concentration camp.
You may also want to watch:
The play won last year's Welwyn Drama Festival to earn a place on the shortlist for this year's George Taylor award.
Miss Roskilly, who now teaches at St Christopher School in Letchworth, said: "The play was inspired by a drama lesson exploring the holocaust.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
"We tried to imagine what the people that lived in the little town in Poland that is now so famous might have gone through once the camp was in operation.
"We tried to imagine how they let it happen and did not act and continued their lives with such an atrocity on their doorstep.
"The play is Brechtian style and contains lots of silence - it is more about what is not said than what is.