Sarah’s charity trek to say thanks for saving her young daughter’s life
- Credit: Archant
A Royston creative director has set off for the trek of a lifetime – to raise funds for a hospital that saved her daughter’s life.
Sarah Kralj-Durkin, who works for C4B Media in Baldock Street, set off on Saturday to Iceland to raise funds for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity, to give thanks for the care her five-year-old daughter Cerys – who suffers from a rare heart condition – received.
Cerys had emergency open heart surgery three days after being born and then again at seven weeks to correct a condition that meant only half of her heart worked.
She spent the traumatic first three months of her life being cared for at Great Ormond Street.
Sarah said: “The team at Great Ormond Street have been magnificent. Without surgery Cerys wouldn’t have survived more than a few days.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking before she set off, she said: “I am very excited but nervous about the challenge ahead. I have prepared for this but it will be the thought of Cerys that sees me through.”
Sarah will do the trek with her friend Julie Rhodes.
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 3 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 4 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 5 Parents struggling with homeschooling to get boost from book donors
- 6 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 7 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 8 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
The pair will walk a gruelling 83km from Reykjavik to the hot pools of Landmannalaugar, crossing the lava and snow fields of Storihver and the glacial streams in Blafjallakvisi, before visiting the valley of Thörsmork and ending in the river canyon of Stakkholtsgjá.
To donate to Sarah’s challenge, visit www.justgiving.com/Cerys-Durkin.