Sarah’s charity trek to say thanks for saving her young daughter’s life
- Credit: Archant
A Royston creative director has set off for the trek of a lifetime – to raise funds for a hospital that saved her daughter’s life.
Sarah Kralj-Durkin, who works for C4B Media in Baldock Street, set off on Saturday to Iceland to raise funds for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity, to give thanks for the care her five-year-old daughter Cerys – who suffers from a rare heart condition – received.
Cerys had emergency open heart surgery three days after being born and then again at seven weeks to correct a condition that meant only half of her heart worked.
She spent the traumatic first three months of her life being cared for at Great Ormond Street.
Sarah said: “The team at Great Ormond Street have been magnificent. Without surgery Cerys wouldn’t have survived more than a few days.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking before she set off, she said: “I am very excited but nervous about the challenge ahead. I have prepared for this but it will be the thought of Cerys that sees me through.”
Sarah will do the trek with her friend Julie Rhodes.
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 3 Missing teen found safe and well
- 4 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 5 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 6 Party leaders respond to election result in North Herts
- 7 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 8 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 9 County council elections round-up for North Herts
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
The pair will walk a gruelling 83km from Reykjavik to the hot pools of Landmannalaugar, crossing the lava and snow fields of Storihver and the glacial streams in Blafjallakvisi, before visiting the valley of Thörsmork and ending in the river canyon of Stakkholtsgjá.
To donate to Sarah’s challenge, visit www.justgiving.com/Cerys-Durkin.