Sandon photography firm finds international success
- Credit: Archant
A PHOTOGRAPHY firm has come top of the class after rapidly developing to become one of the largest school photographers in the United Arab Emirates.
Exports now account for just under a third of Sandon-based Pret-a-Portrait’s £2.5 million turnover. The studio family portrait and school photography firm is now achieving annual overseas sales of £700,000 since their first export order in 2008.
Starting with school photographs in England in 2005, Pret-a-Portrait’s fresh approach of studio-style pictures of each pupil and year group meant their business quickly expanded. It wasn’t long before the friend of sister of Director, Adam Berry, who lives in Dubai, persuaded a local school of expat children to give them a try.
Adam, who co-founded the firm in 2003 with friend Nick Kerr, said: “The work picked up more quickly and was more profitable in Dubai than in the UK. Our team of 40 photographers were delighted. From a standard job as a twice a year school photographer to international postings in warmer climes, it was great.”
The firm has now found fame across Dubai after creating a photograph which featured local schoolchildren representing the Dubai cityscape, imitating the shadow puppet style of Britain’s Got Talent winner Attraction. The 5ft by 2ft printed version made nearly £5,000 in an auction for charity.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d say to any firm that hasn’t explored overseas markets yet, keep your eyes open for an opportunity and provide the best quality work.”
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 10 Vote will decide parental leave payment to key county councillors