Samsung Galaxy tablet, watches, jewellery and make-up stolen in spate of Royston burglaries
PUBLISHED: 13:41 27 February 2015 | UPDATED: 13:43 27 February 2015
Police are urging anyone with information about a spate of burglaries in Royston yesterday to come forward.
Crime prevention advice
• Make sure you double-lock any UPVC doors by lifting the handle and locking it before you go to bed or leave your home
• Check all doors are locked and all windows
• Consider installing alarms and ‘dusk to dawn’ security lighting
• Secure your rear garden and don’t leave ladders and tools outside for burglars
• Use timer switches on lamps to give the impression somebody is at home
• Keep all loose valuables out of sight of any would-be thieves.
• Don’t leave any boxes which advertise to thieves what’s available in your home outside by the dustbin ·
• Postcode mark your valuables with a UV pen and registering them on a free property database like www.immobilise.com to deter thieves
Four addresses in two streets were targeted within the space of four hours.
Watches, jewellery and a make-up bag were stolen after intruders smashed a glass panel in a back door to get into a property in Nightingale Way at some point between 11am and 12.30pm.
On the same road, a Samsung Galaxy tablet and several jewellery items were stolen from an address between 11.40am and 3.05pm. Again, offenders gained entry by smashing glass in a back door.
Two homes in Byron Road were also targeted between 11am and 12 noon, although it is not clear whether anything was taken from either.
On both occasions the burglars smashed the glass of a back or side door to get in, turning keys which had been left in the lock on the inside.
A spokeswoman for the police said: “Anyone with information about the burglaries, or who saw any suspicious activity in the area around the times stated is urged to contact police via the non-emergency number 101.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the orange box above for details.