Pop star Sam Smith reopens Great Chishill Windmill
- Credit: Archant
Pop star Sam Smith returned to Great Chishill at the weekend to help the village celebrate the reopening of its windmill.
The global singing sensation grew up in the village on the Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire border after moving there, aged four, and he came back on Saturday to open the windmill after a £110,000 restoration project.
"I am delighted to be back in Chishill, the village that I grew up in from the age of four," said Sam.
"I have many happy memories, like running through the fields behind us, dancing to Beyoncé."
In an Instagram post, he added: "It was such an honour to be a part of the unveiling of the windmill in the village, which has been restored and is working again!
You may also want to watch:
"Made me so emotional to be back at home with my family and friends. What life is all about."
Renovation work to the Great Chishill Windmill will see it safeguarded for the next 100 years.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 8 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme