Royston woman in her 80s has purse stolen by men who offered to help with shopping
- Credit: Archant
A woman in her 80s had her purse stolen on Friday by two men who posed as good Samaritans by offering to take her shopping into her Royston home.
Police are appealing for witnesses following the incident which unfolded when a woman had been dropped home to Field Crescent in a taxi at about 3.15pm. The two men helped the elderly lady with her shopping into the house, before one of them distracted her by asking for directions while the other man stole her purse – which contained money and a bank card.
The first man – who is believed to have an Eastern European accent – is described as being white, about 30 years old, of stocky build and around 5ft 7ins tall. He had short light brown hair, was clean shaven and was wearing a light blue anorak.
The second man is described as being white, also about 30 years old, of skinny build and around 5ft 7ins tall. He had short dark brown hair, was clean shaven and was wearing dark clothing.
Det Con Sam Casey said: “These men have preyed on the victim’s trusting nature and we would like to identify them as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“As this offence occurred during the day there may have been other people around in the area who saw the two men.”
Officers from Operation Manhunt, the unit which investigates distraction burglary and other crimes committed against the elderly, are investigating this crime.
- 1 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 2 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 3 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Wildlife photographer's lockdown calendar raises money for those in need
- 6 Families of care home residents worry about vaccine roll-out delays
- 7 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 8 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 9 Luton Airport flight path public consultation in final weeks
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
Anyone with information in relation to the incident is encouraged to call the police non-emergency number 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.