Royston woman Babs reaches milestone 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A retired secretary joked about having ‘another 100 years to go’ after celebrating her 100th birthday in Royston.
Babs Self, who has lived in Royston for 10 years but describes herself as a ‘true cockney’ from London, was presented with flowers at the Forget Me Not care home and sent a card from the Queen after reaching the milestone age.
Babs, who lives at home and regularly visits the town centre to do her shopping, said: “It’s brilliant to reach 100. I’ve promised everyone I’ll still be here next year.”
Babs visits Forget Me Not every Wednesday to take part in the bingo and quiz.
She said: “We all get on very well together. I really enjoy myself. We have a chat and a cup of tea, then we hope someone brings some cake – which usually turns out to be me.”
You may also want to watch:
Forget Me Not chairman Barbara Charter said: “Babs is quite a character. She doesn’t take any nonsense, she’ll stand her ground. I call her five foot plonk. She’s quite a comic, she loves her quizzes. She makes me roar with laughter with her comments.”
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 5 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange