Royston Wetherspoon pub shut after ‘maggots fall onto table’
- Credit: Archant
A Royston pub was closed on Friday after a customer noticed maggots on their table which appeared to have fallen from the air con unit above.
The Manor House in Melbourn Street, run by the JD Wetherspoon chain, was closed on Friday morning while inspections were carried out.
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon told the Crow: ”A customer noticed some maggots on their table last Thursday night.
“The manager on duty confirmed this, cleared them up but did not know where they were coming from, although it was suspected to be from the air con unit above the table.
“The pub was closed on Friday morning to allow a pest control team and an air-con engineer to fully inspect the unit – which they did, but without tracing the source.
You may also want to watch:
“The pest control team carried out some spray treatment within the pub and it reopened on Friday afternoon.
“The pub has remained open and there have been no further sightings of maggots.”
- 1 Let's go fly a kite as annual festival is set to return
- 2 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 3 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 4 How many children are living in poverty in North Herts?
- 5 Parish councils react to High Court decision that councils must meet in person
- 6 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Dawning of a new era' as Melbourn Community Hub prepares to reopen
- 8 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 9 Who is standing in Royston Town Council Meridian ward election?
- 10 MP welcomes Secretary of State to biomedical campus
Councillor Bernard Lovewell, North Herts District Council’s Member for housing and environmental health, said: “NHDC takes matters like this very seriously.
“Upon receiving a complaint from a resident, one of our Environmental Health Officers visited the premises immediately.
“On inspection no evidence of maggots was found and we are satisfied that the owner is taking the matter seriously and carrying out a thorough investigation”.