Royston Wetherspoon pub shut after ‘maggots fall onto table’
- Credit: Archant
A Royston pub was closed on Friday after a customer noticed maggots on their table which appeared to have fallen from the air con unit above.
The Manor House in Melbourn Street, run by the JD Wetherspoon chain, was closed on Friday morning while inspections were carried out.
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon told the Crow: ”A customer noticed some maggots on their table last Thursday night.
“The manager on duty confirmed this, cleared them up but did not know where they were coming from, although it was suspected to be from the air con unit above the table.
“The pub was closed on Friday morning to allow a pest control team and an air-con engineer to fully inspect the unit – which they did, but without tracing the source.
You may also want to watch:
“The pest control team carried out some spray treatment within the pub and it reopened on Friday afternoon.
“The pub has remained open and there have been no further sightings of maggots.”
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 5 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 6 Extra Car Park Panto date added for IWM Duxford
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
- 9 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 10 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
Councillor Bernard Lovewell, North Herts District Council’s Member for housing and environmental health, said: “NHDC takes matters like this very seriously.
“Upon receiving a complaint from a resident, one of our Environmental Health Officers visited the premises immediately.
“On inspection no evidence of maggots was found and we are satisfied that the owner is taking the matter seriously and carrying out a thorough investigation”.