Royston uncle gives thanks after emergency air ambulance team saves baby’s life
- Credit: Archant
A Royston man has taken on a tough physical challenge to give back to the charity that saved his nephew’s life.
Back in October, the day after Ashley Penn held his nephew Samuel in his arms for the first time, panic struck when the three-day-old began struggling to breathe.
Unbeknown to his family, baby Sam’s stomach wasn’t properly connected to his oesophagus, meaning he hadn’t been able to get any milk and was exhausted.
The family called 999 and when paramedics arrived, Sam’s mother Lisa said she has “never been so relieved to hear the air ambulance was on its way.”
Sam was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge where he received emergency surgery.
You may also want to watch:
Lisa said: “The on-board doctor and crew were calm, efficient and reassuring, we were at the hospital in less than 10 minutes.”
Their quick action meant that Sam was saved in time and there were no lasting effects, apart from hospital visits now and then for checks.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
Starting on Saturday at 10am, the 27-year-old will tackle the Three Peaks Challenge – to scale Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis – in 24 hours with school friend Richard Dale for the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
Lisa added: “We are so grateful for what they did for us that day and are very proud of Ashley who is doing something amazing to raise money for this worthwhile charity.
“You never know when you might need it like we did. Now Sam is a happy, smiling baby.”
To donate to Ashley’s fundraising page, visit www.givey.com/national3pc.