Royston Town Band have a blast at the opening ceremony of their new band room
- Credit: Archant
It was a spectacular ceremony to mark the unveiling of a spectacular new rehearsal space.
Members of Royston Town Band marched from the site of their old band room at The Manor House in Melbourn Street to their new spot in Tannery Drift to kick off the opening ceremony on Sunday.
It’s been a labour of love as members and friends have donated more than 100 days of their spare time cladding, fitting gutters, laying floor tiles, and wiring the new band room to get everything prepared.
Speeches on the day were made by chairman Charmian Flowerday, benefactor John Crosher, Sir Oliver Heald MP, and trumpeter Alison Balsom. The band room was then opened by longest serving member Brian Edwards, who has been a member for more than 70 years.
Charmian said: “I think our opening ceremony summed up Royston Town Band pretty well.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of hard work went into planning the event by a lot of people, and on the day everyone pulled together. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and it was fantastic to see a lot of old friends as well as spending time with those who are relatively new to the band.
“It’s the end of one project, but we have plenty of exciting new ideas just waiting to get started on in the new year. Thanks to everyone who has supported us and joined us.”
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 3 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 4 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 6 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 7 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 8 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 9 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 10 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing