Royston toddler group could close unless new volunteers come forward
- Credit: Archant
A baby and toddler group that has been running for nearly 30 years could be forced to close unless new volunteers come forward to run it.
Sunbeams Baby and Toddler group caters for children up to the age of five, running sessions four mornings a week at St Mary’s Church hall in Melbourn Road, Royston. However, a lack of new volunteers has left the group’s committee looking at cutting back sessions or closing altogether.
Alison Hammond has been the group’s chairman since 2009. She started attending Sunbeams with her son, Thomas, in 2007, and later with her daughter, Emily.
She said: “We have desperately been trying to recruit a new committee and in particular a new chairman for more than 12 months who can keep the group going. As yet nobody has come forward.
“We are also struggling to fill the normal day-to-day positions of deputy day leaders and bookkeepers.”
You may also want to watch:
Sunbeams started in the early 1980s as the Meridian Toddler Group, and has been based at St Mary’s for 15 years.
“Our Wednesday session is struggling with numbers so we need more mums and dads to come along and join the fun or we may have to close one of our sessions,” said Mrs Hammond.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 5 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 6 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 Dial M for an interesting look at the macabre
For more information on volunteering, visit the group’s website, www.sunbeamsroyston.co.uk