Royston to be twinned with town with Villanueva de la Canada in Spain?
ROYSTON could soon be twinned with a town in Spain. The town s twinning association have been having discussions with two women from the town of Villanueva de la Ca�ada, who visited Royston recently, and are hopeful that a formal twinning agreement can be
ROYSTON could soon be twinned with a town in Spain.
The town's twinning association have been having discussions with two women from the town of Villanueva de la Ca�ada, who visited Royston recently, and are hopeful that a formal twinning agreement can be finalised later this year.
Villanueva de la Ca�ada is a town of a similar size to Royston, located 30km North East of Spanish capital Madrid.
Adrian Jones, chairman of the Royston twinning association, told a meeting of Royston town council on Monday: "They [Villanueva de la Ca�ada] are looking for a twin town close to London and one of the airports, and we appear to fit the bill. I know they are having discussions with other places such as Reigate in Surrey, but we have sent them a letter expressing our interest in forming a link.
You may also want to watch:
"Twinning is quite different in Spain, and one of things they might be looking for is a place where students could come to stay while visiting this country," he said.
Mr Jones addressed the meeting to ask for the town council's blessing to go continue negotiations with Villanueva de la Ca�ada.
- 1 Let's go fly a kite as annual festival is set to return
- 2 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 3 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 4 How many children are living in poverty in North Herts?
- 5 Parish councils react to High Court decision that councils must meet in person
- 6 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Dawning of a new era' as Melbourn Community Hub prepares to reopen
- 8 Who is standing in Royston Town Council Meridian ward election?
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 10 Candidates in North Herts prepare to stand for county council elections
He said: "If they chose us, we would look to get an agreement signed by September."
Cllr Lindsay Davidson, who was part of the delegation that met with the women from Spain, said: "I was very impressed by the two ladies, and think another twinning agreement would be a nice thing to do."
Royston is already twinned with La Loupe in France and the German town of Grossalmerode.
A group from Royston will be visiting La Loupe, which is 90 miles South West of Paris, from 28 - 31 May. Some places are still available at a bargain cost of �100 (reduced price for children), including all travel, accommodation and meals. For more information and to book your trip, contact Paul Rydon on 01763 241721 or email@example.com before the end of March.
The association are also holding a quiz at the Town Hall this Friday, 27 February. Teams of eight are invited to enter by contacting Monica Gray on 01763 245895 or firstname.lastname@example.org