Royston teen who battled cancer as a child takes part in yacht adventure with Ellen MacArthur charity
- Credit: Archant
A Royston teenager who battled cancer as a child has taken part in a five-day yacht adventure with a national charity.
Charlotte Butterworth finished cancer treatment in January 2004 for synovial sarcoma in the jaw.
The 18-year-old took part in the sailing trip around the Solent with the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust – which takes young people between the ages of eight and 24 sailing to help them regain their confidence while recovering from cancer.
Charlotte said: “The trust has given me new opportunities that I may not have been able to do otherwise. It has made me more confident to try new things.
“You can talk about things and the people here know what you are talking about.
“You can relate to everyone because they’ve all been through the same thing.”
Departing from the Isle of Wight, the trip navigated the waters of the Solent, which took them to various stopovers – including the picturesque town of Lymington and Poole’s stunning natural harbour – before cruising back into Cowes.
- 1 Royston Scouts raise money to attend jamboree in Korea
- 2 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
- 3 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Neighbours set to host Jubilee street party in aid of hospice - and you can too!
- 5 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
- 6 Dallas legend Patrick Duffy set for mystery thriller coming to Cambridge stage
- 7 Royston and Heydon Grange lady golfers enjoy tough competitions
- 8 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 9 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 10 Visit Great Yarmouth for a family staycation
Dame Ellen, who tries to spend a day on as many trips as possible, said: “The mental and social fallout from cancer can be just as devastating as the physical illness. Everything we do is about building confidence, self-esteem and having fun together.”
There are many ways you can support the trust with your time, money or services.
To become a friend of the trust and help them to continue to provide support and encouragement to young people in recovery from cancer, visit the website at www.ellenmacarthurcancertrust.org.
The trip earlier this month was Charlotte’s first with a crew made up of those aged 18 to 24.
She has completed six previous trips with the aged eight to 17 group, first sailing with the trust in 2009 and returning for a trip each year since.