Royston slimmers to donate bags full of clothes to charity – and meet mayor
- Credit: Archant
Royston slimmers are set to make a generous charity donation this weekend of clothes they no longer fit into – and they’ll meet the mayor while doing it.
Slimming World members will team up with Cancer Research UK this Saturday, with a community event and collection point at the Royston Tesco car park from 10.30am to 3pm.
Royston mayor Vera Swallow – whose husband Colin attends the Slimming World group in Baldock – will be attending at 2pm.
Sandra Lloyd from Slimming World said: “Colin is doing very well on his weight loss journey and loving our food optimising plan.
“Cancer is very close to the hearts of both Colin and Vera Swallow as they have both been touched personally by this dreadful disease, and they are wholehearted supporters of the work that Cancer Research UK carries out in the fight against cancer.”
You may also want to watch:
About 500 bags, worth about £35 each for Cancer Reserch UK, are expected in Royston this Saturday.
Last year’s initiative raised £2.2 million nationally through members’ donations, and this year the team is aiming for £3 million.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 7 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 8 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
- 9 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 10 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia