Royston slimmers to donate bags full of clothes to charity – and meet mayor
- Credit: Archant
Royston slimmers are set to make a generous charity donation this weekend of clothes they no longer fit into – and they’ll meet the mayor while doing it.
Slimming World members will team up with Cancer Research UK this Saturday, with a community event and collection point at the Royston Tesco car park from 10.30am to 3pm.
Royston mayor Vera Swallow – whose husband Colin attends the Slimming World group in Baldock – will be attending at 2pm.
Sandra Lloyd from Slimming World said: “Colin is doing very well on his weight loss journey and loving our food optimising plan.
“Cancer is very close to the hearts of both Colin and Vera Swallow as they have both been touched personally by this dreadful disease, and they are wholehearted supporters of the work that Cancer Research UK carries out in the fight against cancer.”
You may also want to watch:
About 500 bags, worth about £35 each for Cancer Reserch UK, are expected in Royston this Saturday.
Last year’s initiative raised £2.2 million nationally through members’ donations, and this year the team is aiming for £3 million.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange