Royston’s Summer Soul to the Square cancelled, just months after organisers won licence appeal
- Credit: Archant
One of the most eagerly anticipated events in the Royston calendar has been called off – months after organisers won the fight to have their licence reinstated.
Summer Soul to the Square is organised by Jason Todd of Ad Hoc Bar & Kitchen who said the decision, which was confirmed today, wasn’t taken lightly.
Mr Todd said: “It is with the deepest regret we wish to inform Royston that this year’s Summer Soul has been postponed until next year.
“This year’s preparations have focused heavily on the defence and application of the new event licence, coupled with an increased list of new logistical issues to be considered and managed accordingly in order to comply with the authorities’ new requirements.”
The revoking of the licence for the festival – which took place in Fish Hill on a set Saturday in July from 2012 to 2016 – was made following reports of anti-social behaviour and complaints about noise levels during the event.
You may also want to watch:
A petition was launched which was signed by more than 1,000 people, and the decision to reinstate the licence was granted on the basis it would take place on Sunday, August 27, at Angel Pavement.
Mr Todd added: “The decision has not come lightly which was only finalised late last week. We would like to send out a huge thank you to the local authorities, North Herts District Council, Hertfordshire Highways, Royston Town Council and to the local residents who have supported us and made it possible to retain our licence, it is greatly appreciated.
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 6 Sunset Starlight Walk returning after year of cancelled events for hospice
- 7 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
“The hard work is all but lost and will allow us more time and a greater budget to create an even better event next year with more space, entertainment and refreshments. Thank you for your ongoing support, we look forward to a bigger return next year!”