Royston’s St John Ambulance branch set to close
A FIRST aid charity which has served the people of Royston for nearly 80 years is set to close at the end of the year unless more volunteers can be found.
The closure of the Royston division of St John Ambulance is the result of a fall in numbers, but officials say public events will be covered safely by neighbouring teams.
The charity’s first aid service administrator for Herts Les Burroughs said: “Despite the fact that there will be no division based in Royston, we will of course still offer our event first aid cover services to local organisations.
“We are able to offer a full range of emergency medical cover to event organisers from first aiders to medical professionals, first aid treatment centres, and fully crewed emergency vehicles.’
It is hoped if more members are found the Royston division may re-open.
St John Ambulance is also keen that the town’s thriving cadet unit should not lose out, and they may accompany neighbouring teams to gain experience.
County staff officer Sarah Betts, who runs the cadets said: ‘Our cadets learn many skills besides first aid, such as teamwork and communication.
- 1 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 2 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 3 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 9 Up on the roof: Choir sings from top of 163ft chapel tower at Cambridge college
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
“We are extremely sad that the adult division is closing, but we hope to continue to work with our neighbouring divisions to provide our young members with the opportunity to develop.”
If you are holding an event in Royston and need first aid cover, or you are interested in becoming a volunteer, contact St John Ambulance Hertfordshire on 01438 740044.