Royston’s mayor salutes band of super slimmers – including her own husband!
- Credit: Archant
Royston’s town mayor has saluted five slimmers who have lost more than 24 stone between them – with her own husband contributing to the total.
Vera Swallow’s husband Colin, 71, lost 31 pounds – just over two stone – as part of a drive to lose weight to increase his chance of getting a knee replacement.
After joining a Slimming World group in Baldock, he has now had the operation – and has been able to get back to playing at Royston Golf Club on Therfield Heath.
He loves cooking for his wife the mayor, who has supported him all the way.
The mayor told the Crow: “My husband did absolutely brilliantly, they all did. There is such camaraderie between all of the groups in the area, they all encourage each other – it’s amazing to see.”
You may also want to watch:
All five of the slimmers have won group finals in Mr Sleek, a national competition run by Slimming World.
Colin’s fellow slimmers include Tony Reynolds, of Royston, who has lost 7st 7lbs in 18 months – shedding 14 inches from his waist.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 5 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 6 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 7 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 8 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Meldreth’s Bill Peters, 62, set a target last March of losing five stone by Christmas – which he achieved. He was advised to lose weight by his GP to help reduce his blood pressure, and has got into shape with the help of healthy curry recipes. He attends a slimming group in Meldreth.
Kevin Smith, from Royston, lost five stone from January to August last year. The 49-year-old was referred to the group by his doctor for the first 12 weeks as he was borderline diabetic and had high cholesterol, but is now back in good health.
Finally, Royston 44-year-old Tom Smith lost 4st 11lb between July and November last year, and is down from a 44in waist to 36in.
He was inspired to get into shape after seeing a photo of himself on holiday, and now calls his slimming group the highlight of the week.
The mayor also met Slimming World consultants Angela Anderson, Sandra Lloyd, Lesley Thornalley-Grey and Jo Mitchell.
Jo said: “Weight loss groups are often seen as woman-focused, and there are lots of stories in magazines and newspapers about women’s success – which is brilliant, but we know that there are so many men out there that need help as well. This success, seen in all of our groups, really is about how everyday people can change their lives by taking a small step and seeking help.”
To find out more about groups in Royston and the surrounding area, call Jo on 01763 247875.