Royston’s Little Chef closes down as expansion of McDonald’s is planned
- Credit: Archant
A Royston restaurant has closed down and is set to be replaced by an expanded version of McDonald’s.
The land has been purchased by McDonald’s, who have a restaurant next door.
A spokesman for McDonald’s said: “We are currently developing proposals to reconfigure the car park and drive thru lane at the Royston McDonald’s. This would represent a significant investment, through which we would expect to create eight to 10 additional jobs; reduce traffic, noise and congestion at peak times; and improve the overall customer experience.
“We are currently finalising plans, and expect to apply for planning permission in the next couple of months.”
McDonald’s opened last year, and has proved popular with residents of Crow country, with long queues often forming in the restaurant and for the drive-through. A spokesman for Hertfordshire Healthwatch said: “There is an established link between the growth of the fast food industry and obesity.
“On the other hand there is clearly a demand for it and the current site in Royston isn’t fit for purpose.
“We are not in the habit of telling people what to do with their lives but obesity is a big problem in this country and people need to know the facts about what they eat.”
- 1 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 2 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
- 7 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Sign up to Rainbow Run in aid of our hospitals
For more information about healthy eating visit www.healthwatchhertfordshire.co.uk
The Crow contacted Little Chef’s owners but they declined to comment.
*What do you think? Do you welcome a larger McDonald’s coming to Royston? Email email@example.com.