Royston’s Little Chef closes down as expansion of McDonald’s is planned
- Credit: Archant
A Royston restaurant has closed down and is set to be replaced by an expanded version of McDonald’s.
The land has been purchased by McDonald’s, who have a restaurant next door.
A spokesman for McDonald’s said: “We are currently developing proposals to reconfigure the car park and drive thru lane at the Royston McDonald’s. This would represent a significant investment, through which we would expect to create eight to 10 additional jobs; reduce traffic, noise and congestion at peak times; and improve the overall customer experience.
“We are currently finalising plans, and expect to apply for planning permission in the next couple of months.”
McDonald’s opened last year, and has proved popular with residents of Crow country, with long queues often forming in the restaurant and for the drive-through. A spokesman for Hertfordshire Healthwatch said: “There is an established link between the growth of the fast food industry and obesity.
You may also want to watch:
“On the other hand there is clearly a demand for it and the current site in Royston isn’t fit for purpose.
“We are not in the habit of telling people what to do with their lives but obesity is a big problem in this country and people need to know the facts about what they eat.”
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 10 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
For more information about healthy eating visit www.healthwatchhertfordshire.co.uk
The Crow contacted Little Chef’s owners but they declined to comment.
*What do you think? Do you welcome a larger McDonald’s coming to Royston? Email email@example.com.