Royston’s community spirit praised by firefighter after cracked chimney incident
- Credit: Archant
The firefighter in charge of a six-hour operation to remove a cracked chimney stack of a home in Royston last week has saluted residents for their community spirit.
The fire service were called to a report that a damaged stack could fall through the roof of the bungalow in Briary Lane at 9.12am on Thursday, police closed the road while firefighters dismantled the chimney brick by brick.
Royston fire station’s crew commander Steve Greaves told the Crow: “The road was closed for public safety and for our aerial appliance to operate. Due to its limitations, it made taking down the stack very intricate while ensuring it didn’t collapse into the house.
“The occupants were evacuated to a neighbour next door and in true community spirit kept the couple fed and watered for the duration of the operation. “As a fire service we can’t thank people like that enough especially because of the winter conditions we were working in would have made other people very ill.”