Royston restaurant owner goes back to school to give Indian cooking advice
- Credit: Archant
The youngest Indian restaurant/takeaway owner in the country went back to school on Tuesday to pass on some of his skills to Royston students.
Former Roysia Middle School pupil Safwaan Choudhury returned to his former stomping ground with a dish named in the school’s honour having taken over the family-run Royston Tandoori curry house in July last year.
The 18-year-old was accompanied by chef Habibur Rahman-Shamim and co-owner Syed Miah for a cooking demonstration at the school in Burns Road, before pupils themselves tried their hand at different dishes – including flagship offering the Lady Roysia.
About the visit, school manager Elaine Stanford said: “It was a fantastic start to the new year and a real eye-opening experience for the pupils. They absolutely loved it.
“First Safwaan and his team demonstrated how to cook different dishes before they cooked them themselves.
You may also want to watch:
“They also heard how Safwaan built up his business, and he helped them understand about Indian cooking.
“I remember him at the school five years ago and we are all very impressed with his achievements.”
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
Royston Tandoori, which has recently put its name to a ‘Welcome to Royston’ sign, is based in George Lane.
For more information visit roystontandoori.co.uk