Royston poppy appeal under threat due to lack of volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A LACK of volunteers could mean The Poppy Appeal, held annually to support the British Armed Forces, could have no presence in Royston this year.
The Royal British Legion is struggling to find volunteers to help organise The Poppy Appeal, despite it being run in the town for almost 20 years.
Community fundraiser Natasha Robertson said: “Unless we get more volunteers to support this year’s Poppy Appeal there might not be any poppies available in Royston this year.
“We are appealing to individuals, organisations and companies in the area and asking them to help us to make a difference.”
Chris Murphy and Ken Stapleton, who currently organise the town’s Poppy Appeal, are considering stepping down due to the lack of help.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Murphy, who is chairman of the Royston branch, said: “We are already arranging this year’s Poppy Appeal and we need a lot more helpers to join the team as we can’t do it on our own again. It is a huge operation for such a small group of people to put together. We need as many people as possible to chip in and help with our organisation.”
Volunteers are wanted to get involved with the early stages of planning and distributing the 186 collection boxes throughout Royston.
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 3 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 4 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 5 The bells are back in town!
- 6 Warning as more residents targeted by scam police calls
- 7 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 8 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
The Royal British Legion is the nation’s leading Armed Forces charity, providing care and support to all members of the British Armed Forces and their families.
If you are interested in volunteering for this year’s Poppy Appeal, contact Royston’s Royal British Legion group on 01763 244560 or email email@example.com