Royston old police station up for sale
ONE of Royston s most historic buildings is up for sale. The old police station in Priory Lane is on the market for the first time for 16 years. It is currently being used a business centre housing a range of tenants, and owner Guy Garfit explained that h
ONE of Royston's most historic buildings is up for sale.
The old police station in Priory Lane is on the market for the first time for 16 years.
It is currently being used a business centre housing a range of tenants, and owner Guy Garfit explained that he is selling up because he is moving his own businesses - the large print book shop and Solutions for Business - to new premises on the Orchard Road industrial estate.
The building was vacated by police in 1991 when the current police station, in Melbourn Street was built. It remained vacant for three years until it was purchased by Mr Garfit, who restored it to its former glory.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "It's a wonderful building and one would hope the new owners maintain it in its current form.
"When we bought it, it had been boarded up for three years, and looked very neglected, so that year we spent renovating it, bringing it up to its current high standard, was very rewarding. We wanted to retain all the original Victorian features from the dock, to the prison cells."
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 5 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 8 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 9 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 10 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
The offices in the building are various different sizes, and housed in rooms such as the former magistrates' court, the witnesses' waiting room, and even the old jail cells.
Enquiries about the police station should be directed to Marshalls estate agents on 01763 247788 or via www.marshallsproperties.co.uk