Royston nurse gears up for hospice’s Starlight Walk 2014
- Credit: Archant
Two nurses will be swapping their uniforms for Lycra as they lead a night-time walk.
Garden House Hospice nurses Caroline Smith and Lynn Huttlestone are setting the pace for the hospice’s Starlight Walk 2014, which leaves from North Herts Leisure Centre in Letchworth at 10pm on Saturday, September 6.
The annual fundraiser – which was opened to men for the first time last year – gives walkers the opportunity to complete either a six or 10-mile course around the town, before returning to the leisure centre for the finish.
Caroline, who lives in Royston, first came to the hospice on placement as a 23-year-old student nurse. She said: “Although I found it challenging at the time the team made me feel at ease, I witnessed the care and compassion shown to patients and families and realised what a privilege it was to support them on this difficult journey.
“I knew that my vocation would be to return to palliative care one day. Believe it or not, Garden House is a place of laughter and love, an oasis of calm, and serenity. After all they say that laughter can be the best medicine.”
You may also want to watch:
Lynn, who lives in Stevenage, said: “It’s important to say that many patients are admitted for a short stay, perhaps for symptom control or for respite to give their carers a break. We provide holistic care, which is looking after the whole person, not just their physical needs but also their emotional wellbeing.
“Sometimes people are under the impression that the hospice is only available to people diagnosed with cancer, but we care for those living with Motor Neurone Disease, end stage renal failure and other life limiting illnesses. We are here to help them adjust to the changes in their day-to-day living and help them maintain their independence and dignity.”
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 Extra Car Park Panto date added for IWM Duxford
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 6 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 7 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 8 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 9 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 10 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
GHH fundraiser Jo Wiffen added: “Both girls know what a fun night is had by everyone who takes part so please sign up and join Caroline and Lynn for this special night.”
At the end of the walk there will be Danish pastries from Days of Ashwell, food from Baldock’s Chilli Lounge and a Marks & Spencer hot drink waiting for you.
Register in advance at www.ghhospice.co.uk or pick up a leaflet from one of the hospice shops. Entry is £15 and includes a Starlight Walk baseball cap, water and refreshments.
If you would like to support the event as a marshal contact Jo on 01462 679540 or email@example.com.