Royston MP Oliver Heald's Christmas message
I would like to wish all constituents a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. This has been a difficult year. The economy has been in recession, many people have lost their jobs and we have seen losses fighting the war in Afghanistan. Our thoughts shou
I would like to wish all constituents a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
This has been a difficult year. The economy has been in recession, many people have lost their jobs and we have seen losses fighting the war in Afghanistan. Our thoughts should be with those who have suffered.
For me, Christmas started last weekend when I attended the Baldock Lights of Love Ceremony and the Baldock Christmas Fair. I have attended many events over the past few days and I found people keen to celebrate Christmas but in a more reflective mood.
I was very impressed by the special Presentation Evening at Meridian School, Royston. It was good to see so many enthusiastic young people doing such good things.
You may also want to watch:
I have also recently spoken to the combined Sixth Forms of Letchworth Garden City, and we can be proud of our young people.
In the North East Herts area, we are lucky to have a large number of voluntary organisations which was evident at the successful Letchworth Volunteers Event at Spirella in October. At this time of year, we should think of all the special people who volunteer for charities and help others and of our emergency services who do so much.
- 1 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 2 No business like shire business for Cambridge college
- 3 New boxing and Muay Thai classes aim to help boost post-lockdown mood
- 4 5 Great Cambridgeshire places to find a Great British pie
- 5 Make Lunch Royston: Drop-ins back at vital summer holidays support scheme
- 6 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 7 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 8 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 9 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 10 Submissions open for Hertfordshire charity photography exhibition
In the New Year, I hope we start to pull out of recession, see jobs for our young people and begin to put the country on a better track.