New Royston town mayor takes over chain of office
- Credit: Archant
The new Royston town mayor he wants the community to ‘take what is good about our town and make it even better’.
Councillor Iain Leggett takes chains from councillor Vera Swallow for the 2018/2019 year.
He said: “I feel very privileged and honoured to be standing as your elected mayor. “I have lived in Royston for just over 35 years and can truly call this place my home. We have a fantastic community spirit, bringing together people from all walks of life. We all need to feel connected in some way and I honestly believe that Royston is a place where you can find a warmth and welcome that is second to none.
“We have a very successful community cinema, a lively leisure centre and a wonderful heath with sporting facilities.
“There are numerous places to spend an evening out from some very fine restaurants to diverse pubs offering a very warm welcome and of course coffee establishments to chill out in the afternoons with friends while checking out our local shops. Some highlights of the town’s calendar are the May Fayre, the kite festival and not forgetting the Royston Arts Festival.
You may also want to watch:
“All very different but great fun for all the family. On top of these great events are the town’s numerous clubs, so whether it’s team sports, dancing, BMX, cycling or for the musically minded there’s the Royston Town Band, the list goes on and on. So, whatever your interest why not try one out.
“I am so thankful for our volunteers who help support our community groups, also to the churches in Royston who offer support, help families celebrate and pray for our town.
- 1 MP calls for illegal parking clamp-down, as council makes civil enforcement plans
- 2 Sunset Starlight Walk returning after year of cancelled events for hospice
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Police force welcomes plans for council to tackle parking woes
- 5 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 6 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 7 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 8 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 9 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
“I have chosen to concentrate my fundraising for the Mayor’s Community Trust Fund so that our wide range of groups that are working for the benefit of our town can continue to be supported financially.
“I encourage the many worthy causes to apply when the time comes in January 2019.I am reminded that our motto for the town is ‘from good things to better’, so, let us take what is good about our town and work to make it even better!”