New Royston town mayor takes over chain of office
- Credit: Archant
The new Royston town mayor he wants the community to ‘take what is good about our town and make it even better’.
Councillor Iain Leggett takes chains from councillor Vera Swallow for the 2018/2019 year.
He said: “I feel very privileged and honoured to be standing as your elected mayor. “I have lived in Royston for just over 35 years and can truly call this place my home. We have a fantastic community spirit, bringing together people from all walks of life. We all need to feel connected in some way and I honestly believe that Royston is a place where you can find a warmth and welcome that is second to none.
“We have a very successful community cinema, a lively leisure centre and a wonderful heath with sporting facilities.
“There are numerous places to spend an evening out from some very fine restaurants to diverse pubs offering a very warm welcome and of course coffee establishments to chill out in the afternoons with friends while checking out our local shops. Some highlights of the town’s calendar are the May Fayre, the kite festival and not forgetting the Royston Arts Festival.
You may also want to watch:
“All very different but great fun for all the family. On top of these great events are the town’s numerous clubs, so whether it’s team sports, dancing, BMX, cycling or for the musically minded there’s the Royston Town Band, the list goes on and on. So, whatever your interest why not try one out.
“I am so thankful for our volunteers who help support our community groups, also to the churches in Royston who offer support, help families celebrate and pray for our town.
- 1 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 2 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 3 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 4 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 5 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 6 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
- 10 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
“I have chosen to concentrate my fundraising for the Mayor’s Community Trust Fund so that our wide range of groups that are working for the benefit of our town can continue to be supported financially.
“I encourage the many worthy causes to apply when the time comes in January 2019.I am reminded that our motto for the town is ‘from good things to better’, so, let us take what is good about our town and work to make it even better!”