Royston man wakes from coma in Australia and is moved out of intensive care
THE family of a man who has been in a coma since an accident in Australia are hopeful he will soon be well enough to return home. Conrad Wellstead, 24, of Poplar Close, Royston, had been in intensive care in the Royal Brisbane Hospital since falling at Ra
THE family of a man who has been in a coma since an accident in Australia are hopeful he will soon be well enough to return home.
Conrad Wellstead, 24, of Poplar Close, Royston, had been in intensive care in the Royal Brisbane Hospital since falling at Rainbow Beach in Queensland over three weeks ago.
He woke last Thursday for the first time since doctors put him into an induced coma following the accident.
Conrad's parents, Michael and Stephanie, were at his bedside when he woke, and his sister Melanie told The Crow yesterday (Wednesday): "Conrad has left intensive care and is now on a neuro ward where they are working on trying to get him well enough to fly home.
"He has suffered a severe head injury and will need rehabilitation when he returns to the UK. This could last for 9-12 months."
The family have yet to be given a timescale as to when Conrad will be well enough to be flown back to the UK..
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 3 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 4 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 5 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 6 Councillors take the plunge to raise money for Home-Start
- 7 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 8 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 9 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 10 Royston drama group CADS wins new play award for The Blonde Bombshell at Welwyn festival
Melanie said: "He is making small but great improvements daily so we hope in the next few weeks.
"He is still so weak and has only just started to eat 'normal' food so they need to build him up on this first.
"It's early days but he has done so well and is clearly a very strong boy! I hope we can get him back to the UK as soon as possible, at least then I will get to see him."
Melanie added that Conrad woke himself last Thursday, took out his breathing tube, and has been breathing unaided ever since.
He has been talking to his parents and girlfriend, Claire Goodbody, who flew to Australia from Thailand where she had been travelling.
Conrad was two months into an eight-month stint travelling with friends when the accident occurred.
It is understood he slipped and fell, immediately becoming unconscious. He then had to be airlifted to hospital.