Royston man arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and drunken behaviour after rail incident near Knebworth
- Credit: Archant
A 28-year-old Royston man has been arrested in connection with a series of sexual assaults on four women on a train travelling between Knebworth and Hatfield.
A man inappropriately touched four women on board the 14.11 service from Meldreth to London King’s Cross, and when he was confronted by two other men, he became violent and assaulted them both.
PC Sam Sherwood is investigating and is appealing for witnesses to come forward.
He said: “I am really keen to speak to anyone who was travelling on the service and who may have witnessed the incident.
“I would also like to appeal to the two good Samaritans who intervened during the incident as they may also hold crucial information in this investigation.”
You may also want to watch:
It is thought that the four women may have left the service at Knebworth and Welwyn North stations, and police are appealing for them to get in touch.
PC Sam Sherwood added: “Acts like this will never be tolerated on the railway and everyone has the right to travel on the rail network work without fear or intimidation.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
“As part of our ‘Report it to Stop it’ campaign we encourage people to report unwanted sexual behaviours in order for us combat sexual offences on the rail network.”
If you have any information regarding this incident call British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016, quoting reference 169 of 26/02/2016.
A 28-year-old man from Royston been bailed until Saturday, March 19.