Royston man arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and drunken behaviour after rail incident near Knebworth
- Credit: Archant
A 28-year-old Royston man has been arrested in connection with a series of sexual assaults on four women on a train travelling between Knebworth and Hatfield.
A man inappropriately touched four women on board the 14.11 service from Meldreth to London King’s Cross, and when he was confronted by two other men, he became violent and assaulted them both.
PC Sam Sherwood is investigating and is appealing for witnesses to come forward.
He said: “I am really keen to speak to anyone who was travelling on the service and who may have witnessed the incident.
“I would also like to appeal to the two good Samaritans who intervened during the incident as they may also hold crucial information in this investigation.”
You may also want to watch:
It is thought that the four women may have left the service at Knebworth and Welwyn North stations, and police are appealing for them to get in touch.
PC Sam Sherwood added: “Acts like this will never be tolerated on the railway and everyone has the right to travel on the rail network work without fear or intimidation.
- 1 'FOI request refusal leaves residents in darkness'
- 2 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 3 How effective is gritting roads in lockdown?
- 4 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 6 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 7 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 8 I will not stop fighting for our chalk streams, says South Cambs MP
- 9 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 10 County 'extremely grateful' for chief fire officer's 30-year service
“As part of our ‘Report it to Stop it’ campaign we encourage people to report unwanted sexual behaviours in order for us combat sexual offences on the rail network.”
If you have any information regarding this incident call British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016, quoting reference 169 of 26/02/2016.
A 28-year-old man from Royston been bailed until Saturday, March 19.