Firefighters called to ‘chemical incident’ at Royston Leisure Centre
PUBLISHED: 10:09 16 October 2018 | UPDATED: 10:10 16 October 2018
Firefighters were called to Royston Leisure Centre yesterday after reports that “a barrel of acid was smoking”.
Swimmers were evacuated during the incident, which was reported shortly before 5pm at the site in Woodcock Road – and several people were seen outside wearing foil blankets to keep warm.
A Herts Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We were called at 4.55pm yesterday to Royston Leisure Centre in Woodcock Road to concerns that a small barrel of acid was smoking.
“One engine from Royston attended – and on arrival, there was no sign of chemical issues so no firefighting required.”
The fire crew returned to their station just after 6pm.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the orange box above for details.