Royston gym owner offers free membership to hospital staff after play fight ends in severe fracture to eye socket
- Credit: Archant
A Royston gym owner who had to undergo corrective eye socket reconstruction after a play fight with his sons ended in serious injury is giving something back to hospital staff who treated him to say thank you.
David Ayliffe, owner of Fighting Fit gym in Baldock Road, was wrestling with his two 18-year-old sons when he accidently received a knee to his right eye, causing a serious orbital socket ‘blowout’ injury.
He said: “At the time I thought it was a very serious incident as I felt severe pain through my cheek, front teeth and around the eye itself.
“After regaining my composure I looked and there were no obvious problems.
“The next morning I went to my local GP and he referred me straight to the A&E unit at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
“I was referred to a number of different specialists to ascertain what actual damage had been sustained.”
It was during these consultations that David was told he had a severe fracture to the right orbital socket.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
He said: “That was on the Thursday and I was informed that I’d be under the knife on the following Monday.
“I had the surgery on the Monday afternoon and from the reports from the surgeon everything was a success.
“I cannot thank the staff, the doctors, specialists and everyone involved, enough.
“They have been very professional, very thorough and very prompt.”
Since the operation last Monday, David has been racking his brain trying to think of a way that he could thank hospital staff for the great service he received.
He said: “I own a gym in Royston and the only way I can think of rewarding them is by offering them a 30-day gym membership to my Group Bootcamps.”
This offer is open to every single NHS employee at the hospital until February next year. To take part, you can contact David on 0777 550 7590.
He added: “You don’t often hear of the good stuff the NHS do.
“I am sincerely grateful for the prompt and professional friendly service provided by the staff.”