Royston gym owner delighted with response after kind offer
- Credit: Archant
A Royston gym owner who offered hospital staff a free 30-day membership as a thank you after having to undergo corrective eye socket reconstruction has been delighted with the response.
David Ayliffe, owner of Fighting Fit gym in Baldock Road was wrestling with his two 18-year-old sons during a play fight last November when he accidentally received a knee to his right eye – causing a serious orbital socket ‘blowout’ injury.
David went to his GP the next day and was referred straight to the A&E unit at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge. David then had consultations with specialists who informed him he had a severe fracture to his right orbital socket, resulting in an operation – which thankfully was a success.
After racking his brain trying to think how he could thank hospital staff he decided to make them his kind offer – which has been eagerly snapped up by delighted workers.
David said: “I’m delighted with the response, it’s been fantastic. My offer was purely about finding an appropriate way to thank the wonderful and professional hospital staff who helped me.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s not too bad at the moment – I still have one or two small issues but I’m on the road to recovery – and I’m very pleased some lovely people have taken up my offer.”
One of those hospital workers who decided to act on David’s kind gesture was care key worker Emily Tear.
- 1 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 4 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
Emily, 29, from Guilden Morden told the Crow: “It was a lovely gesture by David. I saw the offer in the Crow and through friends who alerted me to it.
“Nowadays to get anything free is a bonus – but the real reason I took up the free 30 day trial was because I’m committed to becoming as healthy as I can be. I want to feel better physically and in myself and his offer has made me step up. Thanks to David I’m determined it will be a lifestyle change.”
Visit www.fightingfituk.co to find out more about the gym.