Royston graduate wins prestigious flower show award for her first ever built garden
- Credit: Archant
A green fingered garden designer from Royston has won a coveted award – just a year after graduating.
Rachel Pocock, who also works part time as a physiotherapist at Lister Hospital, won the Silver-Gilt medal at the RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show with a company she and a fellow graduate set up.
It is the first garden they have ever had built.
The 48-year-old established VaRa Garden Design with 40-year-old Vanessa Hoch, a marketing manager at Eden Academy, after the pair studied together at Capel Manor College in Enfield.
Rachel said: “It’s been fantastic, the whole thing has just been a brilliant experience and very rewarding. Everybody who has helped has been great.”
You may also want to watch:
The pair have worked hard designing and creating the garden around family commitments and work.
The simple but effective designs have proved to be a winning formula for garden fans, Rachel said, as people can visualise how they would look in their own back yards.
- 1 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 4 Fundraisers walk, run and roll in month-long charity challenge
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 MPs pay tribute following death of Sir David Amess
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 9 Stagecoach bus routes changing due to lack of staff
- 10 Woman killed in A1307 lorry crash worked at Addenbrooke's Hospital
She said: “It’s really nice to give people inspiration.”
VaRa Garden Design offers different services, including complete garden redesigns, new planting schemes and consultation visits.
You can find out more about Rachel and Vanessa’s work by visiting the company’s website at www.varagardendesign.co.uk.