Royston girl meets X-Factor stars Leona Lewis and boy band One Direction
A 12-YEAR-OLD girl will be walking 13 miles to raise money for a charity which granted her a wish to meet her idol.
Three years ago Jessica Allan, a pupil from Newport Free Grammar School near Royston was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
Jessica decided to fit her chemotherapy treatment at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge around her normal school routine.
But her confidence deteriorated when she lost her waist-length blonde hair and gained weight due to steroid treatment.
At the end of her treatment, Jessica was granted a wish by Rays of Sunshine Children’s Charity and was overwhelmed when her wish to meet her idol, Leona Lewis, was granted.
You may also want to watch:
Not only did Rays of Sunshine arrange for Jessica and her sister to meet the X-factor winner, they also had the opportunity to go shopping in Top Shop’s flagship Oxford Street store.
Mum Samantha said: “Her self-image took a battering, but she was outstanding, stoical. I couldn’t be more proud of anybody.”
- 1 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 2 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 3 Experts to discuss mental health at new online festival
- 4 South Cambs MP launches new forum to champion local life sciences
- 5 Councillors gagged by threat of 'personal litigation' ahead of farmgate debate
- 6 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 7 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 8 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 9 COVID-19: Literary festival event to mark anniversary of first lockdown
- 10 'Utterly extraordinary' says Lib Dem leader of disgraced deputy leader's criticisms
She said: “It was such an incredible day for Jess it was like going shopping with the coolest, trendiest auntie. “Leona was amazing and talked to Jess about the dresses she liked in the videos and the songs Jess liked best.”
Jessica, her 10-year-old sister Jasmine and her mum and dad had an extra surprise when her limousine stopped off at the Millennium Hotel in Mayfair where Rays of Sunshine was hosting a JLS wish morning on the same day.
Jessica’s day out prompted her and her family to continue fund-raising to help grant other seriously ill children their wish too.
Earlier this year, in recognition of her efforts and following a meeting at the Houses of Parliament, Rays of Sunshine made Jessica one of three wish ambassadors for the charity, whose patrons include Leona Lewis, JLS and One Direction.
On September 22, Jessica and a small group of her friends will be walking the 13 miles from Barley to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in order to raise funds for Rays of Sunshine.
To sponsor Jessica please visit: https://www.justgiving.com/JessAllan1