Royston flat closed by police after complaints of drug use and anti-social behaviour
- Credit: Archant
A flat in Royston has been shut off by police after complaints about drug use, anti-social behaviour and noise.
The closure order of 8 Cain Court in Victoria Crescent was granted by Stevenage Magistrates’ Court today, meaning there is a ban on entering the property for three months and anyone who breeches this can be arrested.
The order was accepted as the court was satisfied that a person has engaged, or is likely to engage in disorderly, offensive or criminal behaviour on the premises, that use of the premises has resulted in or is likely to result in serious nuisance to members of the public or that there has been or is likely to be disorder near the premises.
Evidence was gathered by both the police and North Hertfordshire Homes for the closure order. Both bodies had received numerous complaints about the behaviour at the address, including loud music, arguments and suspected drug use.
North Herts Community Safety Sgt Richard Wilmot said: “We have been responding to complaints about the behaviour of the resident and visitors to the address for many months. By taking this action to close the flat, we hope to provide neighbours and the wider community with some respite from the on-going issues at the address.
“This is great example of how the new ASB Crime and Policing Act has given us greater powers so that we can take action against anti-social behaviour, which can become such a misery for neighbours, and improve the quality of life for our local communities.”
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge