Royston firm Johnson Matthey launches Children’s Challenging Industry programme
- Credit: Archant
A Royston firm has launched a dedicated training programme to support teachers in their coverage of the science curriculum.
Johnson Matthey, based in Orchard Road, has become the first company in the south of England to run a Children’s Challenging Industry scheme.
The Precious Metals firm has sponsored an advisory teacher, Clare Warren, who will work with local Royston and surrounding villages schools and conduct special science lessons aimed at engaging children with practical science. Teachers and students are then invited for a tour of local Johnson Matthey operations, this helps bring what they’ve learned in the classroom to life as they witness the application of science in a modern manufacturing work place.
St Mary’s Primary school in Royston has already enjoyed a visit to Johnson Matthey’s factory as part of the scheme.
Deborah McGarrity, Royston Site and Community Co-ordinator at Johnson Matthey, said “This project particularly excited us due to its targeting of Primary School children; this scheme will spark their imagination and enthusiasm for careers in Science and Engineering before they start at Senior School.
You may also want to watch:
The difficulties of attracting young people into careers in science have been well documented in recent years. From this perspective, I think it is important that the Primary schools in our area understand what Johnson Matthey actually does, and how exciting and varied a career in science can be.”
Schools wanting to get involved in the project should contact Clare Warren on email@example.com.
- 1 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 2 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 3 IWM Duxford set to reopen fully and new flying days announced
- 4 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 5 Police dog helps track down bike stolen in South Cambs
- 6 Who are our North Herts candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 7 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 8 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 9 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 10 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?