Royston family speak out over toddler hanging tragedy
THE family of a Royston toddler left brain damaged after accidentally hanging herself have spoken of the tragedy.
Three-year-old Emily Warner was discovered by her father Jamie, 29, in her bedroom hanging from a window blind cord, at the family’s Ackroyd Road home on August 25.
Despite the devastating impact the accident has had on the family the Warners agreed to speak to The Crow to prevent an accident like this happening to others.
Emily’s mother, Tracy, said: “We put Emily to bed early with her brother who had been playing up.
“James was kicking the wall so my husband went upstairs to check on Emily and found her hanging in the blinds. What she had done was climb up on to the window sill and hang in the blinds.
You may also want to watch:
“He came running down the stairs with her and started performing CPR.”
While Jamie tried to save his daughter’s life his wife rushed over the road to get her brother-in-law who is a trained first aider.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 3 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 4 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 5 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 6 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 7 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 8 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 9 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 10 Thriplow's Baroness Boothroyd slams government vaccine strategy
The emergency services soon arrived and took the toddler to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge.
She was in intensive care for a week and is still in hospital. She will undergo an operation tommorow (Wednesday) to move a feeding tube.
Due to the hanging the toddler suffered hypoxia brain injury – caused by lack of oxygen to the brain – and has been left severely impaired.
“She’s brain damaged and cannot walk, talk or eat at the moment,” her mother said.
“They’re not sure what she’s going to be able to do, she’s making slow improvements. She can move her head now and focus on us.
“She’s aware of what’s going on but we’re not sure what she’s going to be able to do.
“It has devastated everyone who knows Emily, our lives have changed completely”
Grandmother Valerie Ball told The Crow: “You can’t describe it. The family is just devastated. When you wake up and go to sleep the first thing is Emily on your mind – it’s there all the time.
“They’re coping but how they’re coping I don’t know, I just know it has shattered their family and crushed them.”
Emily will be moved to Tadworth Court Children’s Hospital in Surrey for disabled children.
A campaign, The Make it Safe Campaign, has been launched by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents to make European-wide changes to existing products to improve safety standards that could save lives.
The body is working with the British Blind and Shutter Association and the Government’s department for Business, Innovation and Skills to carry out the changes.
“I just want people to check these blinds and make sure they’re all completely safe,” said Tracy.
More information on the crusade can be found at www.rospa.com/about/currentcampaigns/blindcords