Royston director John runs half marathon for Alzheimer’s Research in support of father
- Credit: Archant
A director at Royston firm Johnson Matthey trod the streets of Cambridge at the weekend to raise vital funds for an Alzheimer’s charity in support of his father.
Site planning and service director John Gourd is still a little sore after running the Cambridge Half Marathon for Alzheimer’s Research in solidarity with his father Leonard.
He said: “My father has Alzheimer’s and I have seen the devastating effect it can have on someone who is robbed of their intellect and independence, and the effect it has on my mum who cares for him.”
John, who was one of seven Johnson Matthey employees who completed the race on Sunday, said he is a ‘keen novice’ at running, and will stick to running shorter distances – he’s got no plans to do a marathon just yet.
John has so far raised about £2,200 for the charity, as the amount he raised was match funded by his firm.
You may also want to watch:
To support John, go to his fundraising page at uk.virginmoneygiving.com/johngourd.
- 1 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 8 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show