Royston county councillor and Liberal Democrat campaigners’ bid to rid the town of rubbish
- Credit: Archant
Royston’s new county councillor and Liberal Democrat campaigners have got stuck in helping to tidy up the town at the weekend.
Steve Jarvis – who gained the Royston West and Rural ward from the Conservatives two months ago – joined party campaigners to collect several binbags of rubbish, including food wrappings, plastic bags, bottles and cans.
Mr Jarvis said: “It’s disappointing both that people drop this rubbish and the district council’s street cleaning doesn’t deal with it but at least in this area we have managed. A small part of Royston now looks tidier as a result.”
Campaigners Ruth Brown and Carol Stanier joined Mr Jarvis and were “disgusted” by the litter and broken glass around Mill Road and Lumen Road – near the Royal British Legion, Stage Right Dance School and Royston Day Nursery.
Ms Stanier said: “I walk this way nearly every day and I have been disgusted at the amount of rubbish and in particular the shards of broken glass that I walk past.
You may also want to watch:
“This could be extremely dangerous if a child were to pick it up or an elderly person to fall on it.”
Royston’s Lib Dem branch has claimed an almost doubled membership over the past year.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
The group said the council should ensure that all parts of the town are well-maintained, not just the centre, and they are working to highlight and rectify this here and throughout the town.
To find out more email email@example.com.